Spouses Visa Canada and Dependent Children Visa
A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada who is 18 years of age or older can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children to come to Canada as permanent residents.
Visa acquiring process(Sponsoring Spouses & Dependent Children)
- To be a sponsor, you must be 18 years of age or older. Your spouse or dependent children can be inside or outside Canada at the time of application.
- To be eligible to become a sponsor for spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada, you must promise to support them financially. Therefore, you have to meet certain income requirements.
- If you have previously sponsored relatives to come to Canada and they have later turned to the government for financial assistance, you may not be allowed to sponsor another person.
To be eligible to sponsor in this category:
- You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
- You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.
Eligibility for Spouse
- You are eligible to apply under this visa as a spouse if you are married to your sponsor and your marriage is legally valid.
For people who were married in Canada:
- You must have a marriage certificate issued by the province or territory where the marriage took place.
For people who were married outside Canada:
- The marriage must be valid under the law of the country where it took place and under Canadian law.
- A marriage performed in an embassy or consulate must comply with the law of the country where it took place, not the country of nationality of the embassy or consulate.
Eligibility for dependent Children
- A son or daughter is eligible as a dependent if he/she:
- is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner(not married)
- is over the age of 22 and has been continuously enrolled as a full-time student and depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22(continuous study till date)
- became a spouse or a common-law partner before the age of 22 and has been continuously enrolled as a full-time student and depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since becoming a spouse or common-law partner
- is over the age of 22 and depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22 because of a physical or mental condition.
- Same sex partners, common-law partners and conjugal partners are also allowed to apply under this category and have special requirements.
- The applicant is required to satisfy certain health and character requirements for this visa category
Limelight - Sponsoring Spouses and Dependent Children Visa
If your application for this family visa is approved, the visa office will issue a permanent resident visa to you.Your permanent resident visa includes your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your entry visa.As permanent residents, you and your family members will have the right to live, study and work in Canada for as long as you remain permanent residents .Apply for Canadian citizenship, and if granted, apply for a Canadian passport once you have been a legal permanent resident for three of the four previous years.
If you would like to contact us for advice in relation to your matter, please complete the Contact Form.